Sunday, October 24, 2004

Of Streaking & Plagiarism

No, I am not talking about people running naked on football fields. I am talking of the win streaks that are going on around the sports world. Is this a mere coincidence or is there some divine hand in this? The Patriots have gone more than a season without a loss and across the Atlantic so have Arsenal FC. Hell, even the Red Sox have gone 5 games without a loss (albeit this achievement does pale in comparison to the other two). Not so long ago, these three teams were perennial underdogs to their bitter rivals and as of today they shine atop the pinnacle of glory. I am going out on a limb for the RedSox by assuming that they would win the World Series. Actually a loss wouldn't hurt me as much as beating the Yankees brought me joy.

I happened to see "Phir Milenge" the other day. 10 minutes into the movie I was like "Oh NO! Not again. Yet another shameless rip-off." Sometimes, I really do wonder if these people have even an iota of conscience left in them?? Or are they actually paying the Hollywood guys money to to borrow their storyline? Or are the Hollywood guys that damn ignorant? And even after having such a superb storyline like 'Philadelphia' they completely screw it up with the most inept acting performances. Salman-I can't-cry-without-making-you-laugh-Khan hardly ever looks weak and debilitated in the movie neither from his looks nor via his acting. Shilpa Shetty seems to shed a truckload of tears at the drop of a hat every time she sees him. The only saving grace was AB Jr. whose carefully rehearsed speech at the end could have only been given in English for it to have any kind of credibility. Overall, what could have been a brilliant adaptation ends up as an also-ran.

No comments: